While we know that PlanetSide 2 is a great free-to-play shooter and that its scope is capable of supporting it for quite a few years, SOE president John Smedley seems to have a very ambitious plan for the MMOFPS. Besides the obvious additions such as continents and vehicles, Smedley detailed in his blog his ideas for PlanetSide 2.
First of all, there’s a 3 year plan for PlanetSide 2: “We have a 3 year plan. That’s really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn’t some “vision” we plan on imparting on our players. It’s our thoughts on what we think would be cool.”
Besides that, there’s the goal of running PlanetSide 2 at least until 2015: “We have games that have run for over 13 years, so when we’re making Planetside 2 we aren’t looking at what it’s like in 2012. We’re thinking about a game we plan to have running in 2025.”
Finally, Smedley described some of his ideas for the future of PlanetSide 2, which are, quite frankly, exciting:
– Player Owned bases – we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We’re also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.
– Harvestable resources – imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.
– Water between continents – seamlessly – this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.
– Lots more vehicles and weapons – just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.
– NPC enemies – I don’t want to call this PVE. That’s not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn’t a bunch of quest givers saying “go kill 10 rats” – this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.
– NPC armies – imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it’s in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn’t another game mode. It’s all part of the same game.
– Esports support – we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.
– Mac version (soon after launch).